Monday 18 June 2012

I returned from a work trip last night to my houseboat, Le Bateau Maman.  My daughter has been boat and dog sitting so instead of coming back to a boat with an empty fridge and dead flowers I came home to homemade chicken soup and jam jars full of roses and sweet peas.   Daughters are very wonderful.  The puppy is happy too.
While I have been gone the peas on the roof garden have gone crazy so perhaps peas with feta and mint tonight, there are a few strawberries too, all a bit healthy but there is some Ben & Jerry's in the freezer to balance things up and then off to the shops tomorrow to replenish stocks.


My boat floats happily on the river Thames near London and one of the best things about boat living is the wildlife who I share the river with.   No sign of the signets yet this morning, there were three when I left last week, I hope at least one has made it.....

The river is running fast today and Wayne and Dwaine, the drakes who hang out together are paddling furiously just to get across the river.  The shy moorhen has taken refuge in the lee of my boat, she is a timid thing, daintily picking her way through the shallows.  No sign of the kingfisher, he has probably found a quiet pool somewhere.  Every time I see a flash of turquoise and orange it thrills me, they are the Versace of English birds, just a bit flashy but totally gorgeous.


No comments:

Post a Comment